Yoga at the Villas
Thinking about trying out Yoga in Kauai?
Yoga was first practiced in India over 5000 years ago. It involves a series of postures and breathing exercises designed to increase strength and flexibility.
It is one of the 6 schools of Hinduism, and it plays a large part in Buddhism and other meditation practices. As more advancements are made in the medical field, specialists continue to discover more benefits of practicing Yoga.
Yoga is an incredible way to increase your mental, physical, and spiritual well being. At the Villas at Poipu Kai, we specialize in providing you with a one of a kind Yoga destination. Our resort was designed with Yoga enthusiasts in mind. We provide a full exercise facility, complete with yoga mats as well as the spectacular natural environments to practice Yoga. These include the beach, the greenbelt, and your very own Villa. Throughout the year, free classes are taught on the surrounding beaches. This is a great opportunity to improve your technique and get to know other fellow adventurers.
Yoga in Your Villa
Each villa is complete with an expansive living area that opens up into a lanai. Take in the beautiful island views from the seclusion of your villa. It is the perfect place to lay down the mat and begin your Yoga journey.
Yoga on the Beach
If you prefer the calm serenity of Ocean waves you can pick from 3 different beaches within walking distance of the villas. Follow the greenbelt to the east or the west and within five minutes you can enjoy Yoga on the beach
Yoga on the Greenbelt
The Villas sit right in the center of the famous “Greenbelt” on the south side of Kauai. The greenbelt is a path that connects both sides of our peninsula with wide expansive tracts of grass dotted with palm trees and fresh flowers. What better location to relax and improve you physical and mental health?
Basic Yoga Poses To Try On Kauai
If you’re not even sure on what poses to try when doing yoga on the beach, here’s some quick and easy poses to try and switch between when doing it. Don’t worry about looking like a fool, no one is an expert on first try, and it’s all about the experience. Given the setting where you’ll be doing it, the experience you’ll get from at least trying out these yoga excersices on the beaches of Kauai is guaranteeed to have good results!
- Begin this pose by standing with your feet together.
- Distribute your weight evenly between your feet, engage your core, and tuck your hips under. Relax your shoulders and allow them to roll back.
- Breathe in, bring your arms to your side, and press all your weight into your feet.
- Hold this pose for 5 breaths if possible
- Return to mountain pose.
- Raise your right foot up to the inner thigh of your left leg. Squeeze them together and keep your right knee facing out.
- When you are balanced bring your hands together into prayer pose. and focus on a stationary point to help maintain your pose.
- Hold this pose for 5 breaths if possible.
- Switch to the opposite side and repeat.
- Begin on your hands and knees, and make sure that your hands are stacked under your shoulders and your feet are stacked under your hips.
- Draw your hips towards the ceiling so that your head is between your arms facing your knees, and your back is flat.
- remember to keep your hands wide and your heels gently pressed into the floor.
- Maintain this pose for 5 deep breaths if possible.
- Step forward with your right leg and stack your right knee above your right ankle. Your right leg should form a 90 angle and your left leg should be extended directly back.
- Keep your hips level and keep your back leg extended so that you do not sag.
- Hold this pose for 5 breaths is possible.
- Begin in a plank, hands shoulder-width apart with your palms on the floor. Keep your shoulders stacked above your wrists with your legs extended and your core engaged.
- Bend your elbows keeping them tucked into the side of your body until they form a right angle.
- Hold this pose for 1-5 breaths.
- Sit down with the bottoms of your feet together pulled into your hips.
- hold your feet together with your hands and gently pull them in closer until you feel the stretch in your thighs.
- If this is difficult, try sitting on a block or other object to allow your knees to open more naturally.
- Hold this pose for 5 breaths if possible.
Yoga does so much more than just improve your strength and flexibility. By practicing Yoga consistently you can improve balance, relieve back and joint pain, and improve heart health. It has also been proven to help you sleep better, manage stress, and improve your mood.
If you’re thinking of setting up a relaxing yoga retreat, be sure to visit the amazing places in and around our Villas to provide the perfect setting for such a complete journey. Contact us to find out more about all the options at your disposal to do some Yoga on Kauai.